Building Partnerships Among Civil Society Actors for Sustaining Peace and Conflict Prevention
Below is a list of civil society platforms GPPAC engages with at the global level. Together, we actively promote cooperation and coordination on peacebuilding, sustaining peace and prevention.
Civil society and civil organisations in all their diversity provide localised and/or technical expertise valuable to the UN system and Member States to ensure a more impactful policy and programming at all levels and facilitate space for dialogue that multi-stakeholder and critical dialogues that provide unique cross-sectional perspective on a variety of topics related to sustaining peace and conflict prevention.
- New York Peacebuilding Group (NYPG): GPPAC is an active member of the NYPG – a group that consists of New York-based organisations focused on peacebuilding and sustaining peace who work to strengthen the role of civil society at the UN in peacebuilding as well as create space for dialogue and collaboration with the UN and Member States.
- Civil Society-UN Prevention Platform: Working closely with the collaboration of the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA), GPPAC and Quaker UN Office co-facilitate the Platform as a space for dialogue aimed at supporting the UN’s prevention agenda. The Platform strengthens coordination and information sharing between civil society and the UN at all levels and identifies concrete and practical steps to enhance their collective capacity to carry out preventive work.
- NGO Working Group on Women, Peace and Security: Together with its 18 members, GPPAC works to jointly advocate for the full and equal participation of women in all efforts to prevention and peacebuilding, including by sharing women’s perspectives with senior policy-makers at the UN headquarters.
- WFUNA Monthly Meetings with the UNSC President: WFUNA facilitates monthly meetings between civil society and UN Security Council Presidents to discuss their Programme of Work, priorities for the month, challenges ahead, and key considerations for their Presidency. GPPAC is a regular participant in these meetings and traditionally raises questions surrounding the UN Security Council’s action on prevention and peacebuilding.
- NGO Working Group on the Security Council: The Working Group does not undertake specific advocacy positions, but rather provides a forum for NGOs and members of the Security Council to come together to exchange information and build relationships for bilateral advocacy. GPPAC is a regular participant in these meetings and traditionally raises questions surrounding the UN Security Council’s action on prevention and peacebuilding.
- Coalition for the UN We Need: Represented by a local peacebuilder from Southern Africa - Nqobile Moyo, GPPAC is a member of the Steering Committee for the Coalition that brings together partner organisations and experts to promote the renewal, innovation, and strengthening of the UN system.